9/24/17

Taproot (Graphic novel)

My friend mentioned this comic - Taproot by Keezy Young - was available to download from NetGalley so and it looked really cute so of course I had to grab this! I don't read graphic novels very often for some reason so it was nice to find something that pleased my eye and had an interesting story too.

Blue is having a hard time moving on. He's in love with his best friend. He's also dead. Luckily, Hamal can see ghosts, leaving Blue free to haunt him to his heart's content. But something eerie is happening in town, leaving the local afterlife unsettled, and when Blue realizes Hamal's strange ability may be putting him in danger, Blue has to find a way to protect him, even if it means... leaving him.






So yeah, this was a cute and gay little ghost story. The idea of a ghost being in love with a living person is both sweet and also sad, but luckily Hamal and Blue's romance is more on the happier side and all the other ghost interaction is very cute as well, because they're all kind of gathering around Hamal in the flower shop where he works at since he's the only one who can see them (which leads to everyone else thinking he's a bit of a weirdo).

The story could have been a bit more... more, because I read Taproot in like half an hour and it felt like things happened really fast. One moment there's a whole thing going on with creepy forests and disappearing ghosts and a reaper and then turn the page and it's basically all good, problem solved. I still liked it though. I kinda understand keeping the story scope a little smaller though, because I've made comics myself and that stuff is hard work and you can cover a lot less stuff in a 120 page comic than you could in 120 pages of writing.

I absolutely loved the art! I'm really picky when it comes to that stuff in comics and have a bad habit of skipping even interesting stories simply because I don't like the art, so it was nice to find a comic that I actually like to look at. I liked the use of colors, there were obviously many different shades of green since Hamal works in a flower shop and everything and even the ghosts were green/blue. All the forest scenes also looked really cool and one of my favorite things in the whole comic was the design the reaper character. Instead of just the usual black robe and a scythe the reaper was actually missing the bottom half of their body completely and had four arms and also wings... That's some cool character design there okay.

I feel like I'm not making much sense here but basically everyone should totally read this because cute story and amazing art!

I might get a physical copy one day simply because it's so much more fun to appreciate comics in printed form.


No comments:

Post a Comment